Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"The Forever War"

This 1974 science fiction book written by Joe Haldeman has relevance for today and the edition I read was updated in 2009 with a new foreword by John Scalzi. If you read the book, try to read this edition and please don't skip the Foreword, Author's Note, and Introduction.

Although Haldeman faced challenges in originally getting this book published (due to its proximity to the end of the Vietnam War), it is a Hugo and Nebula award winner. Thank you, Thomas (Tom) Dunne, for taking a chance and publishing this book when no one else wanted to.

Although this is a really good book and I recommend it for reading, I did struggle with the high tech invented war weapons of the future and the off world scenarios so I tended to skim over those and focused on the portions with actual people interactions. I did find it amazing that a book written over 35 years ago could be relevant to what is happening today -- maybe (unfortunately!) some things never change.

A month ago I read Haldeman's "Tools of the Trade" and I enjoyed that book even more -- but more about that later!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment