Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"It Happened One Night" DVD

On a recent date night my spouse and I decided to watch Frank Capra's classic movie, "It Happened One Night" with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. They play an heiress and a reporter who happen to meet while she's running away to elope with a man her father doesn't approve of. Of course, en route everything changes as she attempts to hide her identity and he discovers who she is and decides to help her out. There's comedy and misadventure but the real complication arises when they fall in love.

This was set in a time before I was born but life was not too different from what it was like for me -- well except for the fact that I wasn't a wealthy heiress! (See my blog "Wedding Gowns.") Even so I was still appalled that a woman of legal age could be "kidnapped" by her father in an attempt to keep her from marrying the man she loved (even though her father might have had better insight into the character of that man than she did because he'd sheltered her from the real world).

If you want a look at what life was like in the 30's, watch this DVD and you'll also get a glimpse into why Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert were so popular in their day. This film was the 1934 winner of 5 Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Director, and Best Screenplay.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment