Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (A Memoir of Going Home) by Rhoda Janzen

















Rhoda Janzen's memoir of the breakdown of her marriage is insightful and humorous. She proves that you can go home again when you have a supportive and loving family. Although they may not always understand the choices she's made in her life, they're there for her when she needs them.

I grew up in a community that was predominantly Mennonite and Catholic and I was neither. What I know (and think I have always known) about Mennonites is their goodness as well as their willingness to help others in need -- family or not. Rhoda's memoir just reinforced that belief for me.

This was one of my favorite reads this year and Rhoda's interactions with her mother had me laughing so hard at times that I couldn't talk!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment