Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wedding Gowns

I sometimes wish I'd been born a decade or two after I actually was. I grew up in an age of conformity when women were expected to be wives, mothers, secretaries, nurses, or teachers. The men called the shots and women were expected to do as they were told by their fathers, brothers, male bosses, and husbands. I was a young adult at the time of the Vietnam War and the sexual revolution -- too busy attending college, getting married, and having children to pay attention to much of that. I deferred to my mother in most matters pertaining to my wedding except for a few critical details -- like the groom who I refused to give up for someone with more perceived status or money!

Although I haven't always been a "good littl girl" and I haven't always conformed to society's expectations, my rebellions (for the most part) have been of a more subtle nature. So.....when I read today on the internet about the trend to wear something other than the traditional white wedding dress these days, I wished I'd had that option when I married. (If I'd chosen anything other than white in that era, I'm sure it would have been assumed I wasn't a virgin -- laughable today that anyone would care about that, isn't it?!)

One bride (who looks terrible in white) had always wanted to be married in red and she made it happen on her wedding day. Her husband-to-be knew her so well that he even proposed with a ruby ring. Oh...red! One of my favorite colors...so, in my next lifetime...I'm choosing red for my wedding dress no matter what anyone says.....unless, of course, I have a different favorite color by then!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment