Monday, November 10, 2014

"Grain Mains - 100 Surprising and Satisfying Whole Grain Recipes for Every Meal of the Day"

"Grain Mains - 101 Surprising and Satisfying Whole Grain Recipes for Every Meal of the Day" is a meat-friendly, vegan, and vegetarian cookbook authored by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.  I am trying to move toward a more plant-based diet so I checked out this recipe book from my local library.  It is full of good information about why eating grains can benefit my health as well as recipes that make me want to go to the kitchen and start cooking.

The book is divided into 4 sections:  Introduction, Early, Cold, and Warm.  Vegan and Vegetarian recipes are clearly marked throughout and some non vegan and non vegetarian recipes have tips to make them so.
The introduction is thorough and covers types of grains and cooking methods.

Since it is easiest to get my spouse to try something new if it is at least familiar, I'll probably start with the burger recipes - maybe the Barley and Pecan Burgers first or the Black Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers?  For myself I want to try all the breakfast ones!  There are a couple of slow-cooker porridge recipes that should make the mornings I work go more smoothly. 

I love cookbooks - in fact, I think I may gain weight just from reading them.  I used to collect them more than I used them so now I'm checking them out from the library before I make a decision as to whether I want this book permanently in my home.  Will it be something I'll use regularly?  I'm still testing this one but I love all the good information in it and the recipes appear to be user friendly.  The more complicated ones I may avoid because I'm into simple, healthy cooking these days.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment