Tuesday, November 11, 2014

"Fifty Shades of Kale" Cookbook

"Fifty Shades of Kale" is a 2013 cookbook authored by Dr. Drew Ramsey (of DrewRamseyMD.com) and Jennifer Iserloh (of http://skinnychef.com or Skinny Chef on Social Media).

Three years ago when I began helping individuals adopt a healthier lifestyle and change their eating patterns, I discovered Kale -- mostly in the form of Kale Chips.  However, my version of Kale Chips is time consuming and disappointing because the chips are gone so soon after they come out of the oven!  I love to eat them but hate spending the time making something that, though obviously liked, disappears so quickly.

I recently discovered "Fifty Shades of Kale" at my local library and took it on my ocean getaway with me.  There is a wealth of information in there about Kale and why it is so good for us.  Did you know that it delivers a huge dose of Vitamin K (more than 600% of your daily allowance per serving) and more vitamin C than an orange?  This book is full of those facts and many more.  A caution, though, it is best to buy organic kale and read this book for tips on how to wash, store and prepare kale as well as what else to have in your pantry to be well equipped to make the kale dishes they provide recipes for.

The sections are:

"Morning Quickies" which includes a Huevos Rancheros dish that I plan to try very soon but there are several others in this section that appeal to me.  I choose to make the  Huevos Rancheros  a quick supper, though, for me and my spouse along with some fruit.

"Small Bites" and again there are many recipes in this section I want to try but the "Kale with Goat Cheese and Dried Cherries" sounds so yummy that it has to be one of my first to test.

"Vegetarian Bliss" also has several recipes to tempt me and, even though I'm trying to avoid dairy products, I am going to try the "Grilled Cheese 'n Kale."  T"he "Warm Kale With Beets and Ginger" as well as the "Black Bean Soup with Fresh Lime" and the "Green Pizza" are at the top of my list, too.

"Get Satisfied" includes a number of meat dishes and although I am trying to wean myself away from meat, it's hard for a  girl formerly from Kansas who grew up on beef and poultry fresh from her grandparents' farms.  That said I believe I will get some free range chicken and try the "Chicken Enchiladas" - are you getting a hint that I like Mexican food?  Who could resist the "Beef and Kale Tacos" and a "Beef Burger with Grilled Kale" or the "Pasta e Fagioli" either?  Ok, so I'm not even going to try resisting!  I might try some meat substitutes and see if those will be just as satisfying in these dishes.

The "Naughty and Nice" section has a recipe for "Chocolate Chip Kale Cookies" that looks absolutely delicious and the "Dark Tropical Kiss" appears to be a dessert version of "Kale chips" that I must try.

There's also a "Party With Your Girl" section that gives general ideas about adding Kale to party appetizers.  The "Get Sneaky with Her" shows you ways to add Kale to some of your favorite dishes to make sure you add it to your diet daily.

Much appreciated is the Metric Conversion Chart and other charts in the back as well as the list of Resources..

This is one of the most "energizing" cookbooks I've read in a while -- I want to go out and buy ingredients and start testing these recipes immediately so tomorrow I'm going to do just that!  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment