Thursday, July 7, 2011

"The Ghost Writer"


Philip Roth's thriller, "The Ghost Writer," was filmed by Roman Polanski and has an all star cast that includes Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, and Olivia Williams. I don't remember hearing much about this film when it was in the theaters but, when I saw a copy of the DVD at our local library, I was intrigued enough to bring it home for last weekend's date night.

"The Ghost Writer" is about a young man (Ewan McGregor) who has been hired to complete former British Prime Minister(played by Pierce Brosnan) Adam Lang's memoirs after the original ghostwriter has drowned. Was that drowning death a suicide or something more sinister?

As McGregor's character settles into his new job and begins interviewing Lang, he also starts asking questions and digging into the past with some surprising results. It appears he has asked the wrong questions and is now in danger himself but who can he turn to for help?

This film had me on the edge of my seat and the surprising turn of events kept me guessing to the end. I'd classify this as a political spy thriller which turned my expectations about who are the "good" guys upside down. This film has left me still thinking about that one long after the film ended!

As I get older, I'm learning to question everything I've been taught (or told)throughout my life and to no longer accept it at face value. I've learned that life (for me) calls for making my own discoveries about the truth and sometimes that truth is not what I expected.

I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a good thriller/mystery and also to those who might like something to mull over after the film is over.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment