Monday, April 25, 2011

"Learning To Swim"


I started Sara J. Henry's first novel, "Learning To Swim," yesterday afternoon and finished it this morning because I just couldn't put it down until I was too sleepy to keep my eyes open. When Troy Chance, a ferry boat passenger on Lake Champlain, sees something falling into the water from another ferry boat, she thinks it is a small child. Although the other ferry is too far away to tell for sure, she instinctively dives into the cold water and swims to the rescue of a small boy named, Paul, who only speaks French. When there are no frantic parents or anyone else looking for the boy, she decides it is time to take action herself leading her into an adventure that could prove deadly. Troy reminds me a little of Izzy Spellman in the Spellman private detective series -- both seem to act without thinking through to the possible consequences first. I cannot recommend this book enough!

There is a paragraph on page 163 of the hard cover copy that really resonated with me for some reason: "So if the host doesn't acknowledge the pink elephant in the room, the other guests can't either. I could see this being a useful standard -- not that any of my friends would ever follow it."

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment