Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Dreadnought"


"Dreadnought" is the second book in Cheerie Priest's Clockwork Century steampunk series. I did read "Boneshaker" several years ago but don't remember it that well but recognized Cherie's name when I saw "Dreadnought" on our library's best picks. I would characterize this series as "history with a twist." "Dreadnought" introduces Mercy Lynch, a nurse working in a war hospital in Richmond, VA, during the Civil War. Shortly after she learns her husband (who was fighting on the side of the North) has died, she receives news that her father (who left her family when she was a small girl) is injured, living in Seattle, and wants to see her. This fantasy history tale takes Mercy on a long journey from Richmond to Seattle with many adventures along the way. When she arrives, she meets some individuals whose names I do recognize from the first book in this series.

The gruesome war injuries that Mercy experiences in the Richmond hospital were created by Priest using the letters Louisa May Alcott wrote home when she worked at a Washington, D.C., hospital during the Civil War.

I really enjoyed this book -- more than I thought I might. Let me know what you think....

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment