Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Unlikely Disciple

This month the book club I am part of chose to read and discuss "The Unlikely Disciple - A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University" by Kevin Roose. Since I was going to be out of town and would miss the book club discussion, I took the book with me to read over my holiday. I was surprised at how much I liked this book and how reluctant I was to take a break from it. It is usually only mysteries that keep me so engrossed. My husband, on the other hand, had no interest in reading the book since he'd grown up in a fairly conservative Baptist home and church where he was always questioning the belief system. As I read the book and shared portions with him, we had some interesting discussions, though.

Kevin, a student at ultra-liberal Brown University, decided he wanted to do a semester away but he didn't choose to do the traditional semester abroad. Despite the reservations of his parents and extended family, he chose to spend a semester studying at Liberty University, a conservative Baptist school in Lynchburg, VA, known as the "Bible Boot Camp" for young evangelicals -- the idea of the late Rev. Jerry Falwell.

Kevin makes every effort to genuinely experience Liberty and immerses himself in campus life passing himself off as an evangelical. He develops friendships with other students, participates in extra curricular activities, dates, struggles with the course work, and has the last one-on-one interview with Jerry Falwell before his death. Kevin's insights and struggles as well as what he learns about the school are thoughtfully presented. As I read the book, I had to keep reminding myself that Kevin was only 19 when he attended this school because I found his maturity and insights amazing for one his age. I'm not sure I had any deep thoughts at 19!

I believe this book has insights for liberals and conservatives alike so I'd encourage anyone to read it.

Check out Kevin's web site at http://www.kevinroose.com/

I'd love to hear what you think about his book if you do read it!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment