Monday, May 14, 2018

"Eating Plant-Based, Retirement, Moving and Downsizing"

In January of 2018 at age 75 I retired (for the second time) from a part-time job I had had for 7 years.  The main reason I left the job was because I was an Ideal Protein weight loss coach in my son-in-law's chiropractic clinic.  After my husband and I transitioned to a plant-based diet in 2017 (at the urging of our oldest daughter who has been plant-based for 20 years or more), I found I could no longer support the Ideal Protein program.  On a plant-based diet I was losing weight and was able to eat all the potatoes, vegetables, and fruits that I wanted so I was never hungry.  In December 2017 the decision crystallized for me when my husband and I attended Dr. McDougall's 10 day intensive in Santa Rosa, CA.  We both lost weight and our cholesterol levels were in a normal range for the first time in forever.  My husband had some medical episodes last year that pushed us to make this change and we are glad we did.

Ten years ago we moved into an over-55 mobile home community and I was supposed to be downsizing.  However, I think I may have been depressed at the time because I didn't really accomplish anything and was glad to return to work and earn some extra income.  This time my retirement has been different.  I wake up ready to tackle the household accumulation but, since I'm not giving up my social life, it has not been achieved yet.

Today I was cleaning out a basket in our spare bathroom and found (to my surprise!) a clipping from The Wichita Eagle.  I have no idea how old it is but it is yellowed and we haven't lived in Wichita since 1968 and haven't lived in Kansas since 1976.  Nothing about the article gives me a clue as to why it might have even been saved by our family.  One side is about a Lumberman, C. Stanton Gallup, who headed the American Baptist Convention at that time and was preparing a run for Congress as a Christian.    We would have been attending Southern Baptist Churches at that time - a long ways from our current membership in a Unitarian Universalist Congregation!

The reverse of the article has an ad for the Girls' Department at Henry's Department Store.  Since we had a 4 year old girl when we moved from Wichita, it is more likely that I saved the ad for girl's wool skirts and sweaters but why do I still have it?!  I'm sure I'll be asking myself that question a lot as the downsizing continues.

What was interesting was the fact that The Wichita Eagle was published morning, evening, and Sunday  and the publisher and editorial director was Marcellus Murdock.  If you wamted all 3 issues, it cost you 55 cents a week.  If you wanted only the morning and Sunday editions, it was 35 cents a week and the Morning only or evening only were 20 cents a week and Sunday only was 15 cents a week.  If you lived where the paper needed to be mailed to you, it cost $10 a year for the morning and Sunday editions.  Sounds like a bargain today!  pazt


No comments:

Post a Comment