Tuesday, June 2, 2015

"Miserere - An Autumn Tale"

"Miserere" is a dark fantasy novel by Teresa Frohock.   When I first started reading this book, I thought it was a sequel to something I'd read in the last two years because there were parts of it that sounded familiar.  However, when I read that it was the author's debut novel, I knew I was mistaken.

The first part of this novel sets the stage for the "story" and it was slower reading for me but, when I got to the "meat" of the tale, I found it hard to put the book down.  In fact, I was almost late for church because I didn't want to stop reading!

Lucian Negru is an exiled exorcist who deserted his lover, Rachael, in hell in order to save his twin sister Catarina's soul.  Unfortunately, Catarina didn't want to be saved and she made a covenant with the equivalent of the devil.  In the meantime, she cripples Lucian and keeps him as her prisoner to do her bidding as she rules.

Everything comes to a head when Lucian has to choose between his sister and Rachael and the choice he makes brings some startling revelations that affect them all.  The ending of the book sets it up perfectly for a sequel in my mind but in surfing the internet, it doesn't appear the author is working on that but she does have something different coming out later this year.

When I went on Facebook to ask to be a friend of the author because I want to know when her next novel is released, I had my own surprise.  My oldest daughter is already her friend and evidently they are in a writing group together and my daughter is one of the individuals she names in her acknowledgements!  pazt


No comments:

Post a Comment