Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Smokin' Seventeen" and "Explosive Eighteen"

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels have been favorites of mine for years and my daughter loaned me "Explosive Eighteen" a year or so ago but I hadn't yet read "Smokin' Seventeen" so I'd been waiting to read it.  In looking at the summary about "Sizzlin Sixteen" at the library, it appears I haven't read it yet either so I've requested it.  In the meantime.....my spouse and I went on vacation and he had a copy of "Smokin' Seventeen" he took to read so I took "Explosive Eighteen" so he could read it, too, if he finished "17."  Let me tell you I really started something when I got him to watch the movie based on Evanovich's first Plum book because he's ordering her books from the library as well as purchasing copies and he read several when we were on our week long vacation. 

He finished "Smokin' Seventeen" and - since it was a library book - I decided I'd read it before he returned it.  I wasn't planning on reading  the next book while we were away because I had plenty of other books with me to read.  Well...."Smokin' Seventeen" was great ! Stephanie's employer is building a new office on the site of his old one and dead bodies are turning up!  While Stephanie and her off-again on-again cop boyfriend, Morelli, are trying to figure out what is going on, Ranger - her security expert friend and the bad boy in her life - is also assisting.  As if that weren't enough to complicate Stephanie's life, her mother is pushing her to get married again and doesn't think either Ranger or Morelli are ever going to pop the question and/or be suitable for Stephanie.  What's her solution?  Fix Stephanie up with a former high school football star who has returned to town after his divorce. 

As usual, complications arise and once the murders are sorted out, Stephanie decides it is time to make some decisions about the men in her life and make a choice about which one she's inviting to take advantage of a trip to Hawaii she's been gifted with.  Given that the book ended on that cliff hanger I had to immediately start "Explosive Eighteen!"  How did fans wait for that book to come out!

"Explosive Eighteen" starts with Stephanie returning to Newark from Hawaii and it's a while before she's willing to share what happened in Hawaii -- you'll have to read the book to find out for yourself!  Enroute home, her seatmate goes missing after an L.A. layover and, when he turns up dead, all kinds of people are anxious to talk to her -- some law enforcement and some not!  It's back to work for Stephanie chasing skips with Lula while being pursued and possibly in danger herself but what's new in Plum's life?! Lula manages to add her own complication by falling in love with one of their skips -- and not a particularly attractive one (in my opinion).  I'm not telling you any more - read these two books for yourself and enjoy!!! pazt
                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment