Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Hermit's Peak"


If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know that I like to read series novels in order so I just finished Michael McGarrity's "Hermit's Peak," which is a Kevin Kerney novel. I love McGarrity's rich attention to detail and a good example is on pages 22 and 23 of the papterback copy of this book where Kerney is doing what he can to eliminate the fleas on a stray dog he's found wandering on his property. This type of detail brings the story and the characters to life for me.

As usual, this is another action packed adventure for Kerney with murders happening too close to his own home for comfort. He's also in charge of the state police at the moment while his friend, the chief, is off on another mission. In the midst of all the action, Colonel Sara Brannon has been promoted and shipped back stateside early from her duty station in Korea and pays a surprise visit to Kerney. He has a lot to juggle throughout this novel but does it with his usual admirable style and brings several cases (with the help of able staff) to a successful resolution as well as making some significant decisions about his personal life.

I can't praise McGarrity enough so I hope you've had a chance to check him out if you're a mystery fan.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment