Friday, March 11, 2011

"Foyle's War - A Lesson in Murder"


My spouse and I are big fans of "Foyle's War" which is a series set in England during WW II and centered around Detective Chief Inspector Christopher Foyle played perfectly (in my opinion, of course!) by Michael Kitchen in an original PBS Masterpiece Theatre mystery series. His driver is played by Honeysuckle Weeks.

My spouse spotted this episode at the library and, when it turned out to be one we had not yet seen, it became tonight's date night movie. When a conscientious objector dies in police custody, it is just one of a series of suspicious deaths that Foyle must investigate. Class distinctions play a role but in his plodding (somewhat Columbo like style), Foyle manages to unravel the puzzle and piece the truth together just as Italy enters the war. It is one of the best Foyle episodes I can remember seeing. It must have been a two parter on PBS because it runs 100 minutes in one setting.

I highly recommend this and any of the Foyle's War series if you like mysteries and would also like to get a sense of what it was like to live in war time England.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment