Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hamish MacBeth


I've been reading M.C. Beaton's Police Constable Hamish Macbeth mystery series in order so I was delighted to learn that a DVD was available at our local library from a TV series based on the books. My spouse and I have been watching this 6 disc DVD collection for the past week (2-3 episodes a night) and are sad to say that it has come to an end -- but it has a very satisfying conclusion. For those of you who have read the Hamish Macbeth books I must warn you that this series starring Robert Carlyle does not follow the books but I still liked it very much. It takes the residents of Lochdubh and brings them to life in Macbeth's world and I particularly enjoyed his day to day interactions with the townspeople who have also become his friends. The series also features Shirley Henderson (plays Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter movies) as the Lochdubh newspaper reporter and, although she looked familiar, it wasn't until we looked at the backgrounds of the cast did we realize why we should have known her. She's an incredible actress because she (as well as most of the cast) can convey a lot just in facial expressions. Another of my cast favorites was Ralph Riach who plays "TV John" McIver - Macbeth's assistant and the local psychic. So....I highly recommend you take a trip to Lochdubh and meet Macbeth and his neighbors. My spouse posed an interesting question at the end of the last episode -- "Are the books as spiritual as the series?" I'm still pondering that one - what do you think?

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment