Saturday, March 30, 2019

"Sensational Salads"

"Sensational Salads" is what I've always longed for so I checked out this book by Barbara Scott Goodman.  I grew up in a household where, when we did have a salad, it was some greens - mostly iceberg lettuce -- and French dressing - which I hated!  No wonder it took me a while to discover that salads could be delicious -- especially those found in restaurants.

However,  I want to be able to make my own really good salads so I started reading "Sensational Salads" and came of with some great ideas.  Since I don't eat meat, I could skip over the seafood and poultry and meat chapters.  However, I was able to find some other ideas to try.  I may not try her recipes as written but I did find ideas for adding fruits and veggies to salads that sound yummy! 

Since I also avoid oil and I think every recipe in this book calls for extra virgin olive oil or some other oil, I am going to have to look for a replacement for that but I believe it is doable so now I'm excited about venturing into the field of good tasting and healthy salads.

The author also tells how to toast nuts and roast beets and cauliflower among other things and finishes the book with some dressing and vinaigrette recipes.

I couldn't find a bean salad that appealed to me but the Wild Rice, Apricot, and Pecan Salad would be great for Thanksgiving and Christmas, I think.  I do want to try her Green Bean, Yellow Bean and Red Pepper Salad as well as the Tropical Fruit Salad and the Mango, Blueberry and Ginger Salad.  My taste buds are watering just thinking about them!  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment