Monday, February 11, 2019

Collecting Recipes

Is anyone else a collector of recipes and cookbooks?  I have more than I can prepare the rest of my lifetime! 

Today is a snow day -- 7 inches at least in the past week and it's still coming down at our home.  That makes is a good day to go through "stuff" and recycle, purge, etc.  I found a pile of recipes that I collected from the internet or magazines in 2008 so that is 11 years ago.  What it has shown me is how much our lifestyle has changed in that time frame. 

Our oldest daughter has been plant-based for 16 plus years and encouraged us to check it out when my husband started having some health problems in 2016 and 2017.  On her advice we attended Dr. John McDougall's 10-day Intensive in Santa Rosa, CA, in December of 2017.  We made a road trip of it driving from Seattle to Portland the first night then to Redding, CA, the second night, and on to Santa Rosa the third day arriving a day ahead of the start.  On the way home we took the coast route going from Santa Rosa to the California coast staying in California the first night, Newport, OR, in a timeshare we have there the second night and on to Kalaloch Lodge in Washington for 2 nights before coming home in time to do our Christmas shopping.

It has certainly changed the way we eat - avoiding meat, dairy and oil.  When I went through that pile of 2008 clippigns, I was able to toss most into the recycle pile.  There were a few that I think I might be able to adapt or look on-line for plant based healthy versions of the same recipe.

Another daunting task ahead of me is getting rid of my non-plant based cookbooks to make room for all the new plant-based cookbooks I've purchased.  They have been with me through most of my 57 years of marriage so it may be hard to part with all of them but I am definitely going to try.  At this time of my life it is beginning to be about recycling, donating, and purging however way it works.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment