Sunday, April 15, 2018

"Victoria & Abdul" - the movie

I wanted to see "Victoria & Abdul" in the movie theater but couldn't find anyone to go with me and I lost track of time and missed it.  I've been waiting to get it from my local library and it is very popular so it was a bit of a wait!

It's the story of Queen Victoria in her later years and a young Indian man, Abdul, who comes to England to present her with a coin in a ceremony.  He was chosen to do the honors because he was tall.  She asks that he stay on and they develop a friendship.

It paints a picture of how lonely it can be to be the Queen and the need to have someone around she can talk honestly to so Abdul is elevated to the role of "teacher."  They develop a friendship that creates a great loss for him when she dies.  It is a beautiful story but also doesn't deny the intrigue that goes on within the palace.  There are those who want Abdul gone!  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment