Sunday, December 18, 2016

"The Thin Man"

Dashiell Hammett's "Thin Man" movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy have always been a favorite of my spouse and I so we decided it was time to watch them again for some lighthearted detecting.  We started with "The Thin Man" DVD and I didn't remember it so I either haven't seen this one or it's been so long ago that it was all new to me.  (I suspect it was the latter.)

Powell and Loy portray Nick and Nora Charles -- a married couple from very different backgrounds.  Nick has been used to hanging out with the low lifes and being a detective while Nora comes from highbrow society.  After they marry and her father dies, Nick retires from detecting to manage all the companies Nora inherited.  However, Nora encourages Nick to become involved in helping solve a series of murders that involve a family who have been Nick's close friends for many years.

This movie had four Academy Award nominations including Best Picture and five sequels were made.  W. S. "Woody" Van Dyke promised to shoot this movie in three weeks but actually accomplished it in 12 days.   It was fun entertainment! pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment