Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"The Shadowed Sun"

"The Shadowed Sun" by N. K. Jemisin is the second book in her Dreamblood fantasy series.  I had forgotten how much I love Jemisin's writing as I've had this book checked out from the library for a while and always chose to read my mysteries first.  However, it was time to return the book and I decided I should read it first!

I think what stalls my starting one is the complex world Jemisin sets up with its own vocabulary and I feel lost until I really get into the book.  (The author does provide a glossary of terms to help navigate her fantasy world.)  Once I'm in it, though, I don't want to put it down.  This book has a very strong feminine heroine - the first woman ever allowed to join the dream godddess's priesthood.  Paired with an exiled prince they need to free the city of Gujaareh from the imperial rule of the Kisuati Protectorate as well as a deadly nightmare plague that is killing citizens in their sleep. If you enjoy fantasy, I'd recommend this series.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment