Monday, September 23, 2013

"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries"

"Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries" can evidently be viewed on Public Television but is a fairly new series and I'm not sure where I heard about it.  It is based on novels by Kerry Greenwood and stars Essie Davis as the Honorable Phryne Fisher.  It's set in 1920s Melbourne and the series begins with episodes that show us how Phryne became a lady detective.

She is a very glamorous thoroughly modern woman who also appears to be quite wealthy.  Starting in the beginning episode (13 total on 4 discs) Phryne begins to gather people around her who will become part of her investigative team in one way or another.  I love her character and I also really like having characters that move with her from episode to episode as everyone's story and characters are developed.  I would have to say she's probably my new favorite mystery show developed for PBS.  I wanted to see if there are more episodes coming and learned that Series 2 was due to finish filming in August of this year.  I haven't been able to locate this DVD series on Netflix or Amazon Prime  so I think it will be a while before I can move on to Series 2 but I'm hoping to check this video out again to watch with female family members who also like mysteries!  I think I'll also look for the books that they're based on.

Be patient if you can't get hold of a copy of this series right away, it's worth watiting for!  pazt 

No comments:

Post a Comment