Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Dandy Gilver and an Unsuitable Day for a Murder"

I picked up "Dandy Gilver and an Unsuitable Day for a Murder" by Catriona McPherson at my library on a whim.  I'd gone in to pick up some books I'd requested and right behind the hold shelf is a shelf containing large print books and this one was prominently displayed and was a murder mystery so I found myself checking it out, too.

I found it slow going to read and I'm not sure if that's because this is not the first book in the series and I was "lost" in terms of who the usual main characters are and how the relationships sort themselves out or if it really is a book I have difficulty getting into it.  I did finish it and will try what appears to be the first book in the series next to see if that one is an easier read for me.  Rarely do I have difficulty getting into a mystery, though, so I'm not hopeful.

Dandy Gilver was compared on the back cover to Harriet Vane, one of Dorothy Sayers' characters, but I didn't quite see the resemblance myself other than the fact that they're both English.  In this mystery, Dandy is hired to find young Mirrin Aitken granddaughter of the founders of the Aitkens' Emporium.  Mirrin has gone missing after her family has disapproved of her romance with Dugald Hepburn, grandson of the rival department store founders.  The families fear that they have eloped but when what appears to be a simple missing person case turns into a multiple murder mystery, Dandy and her assistant have their hands full ferreting out the truth.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment