Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"Broken Kingdoms"

"Broken Kingdoms" is N. K. Jemisin's second book in The Inheritance Trilogy and, like the first book, it took me a little while to get into the book but, once I did, I couldn't put it down.  I asked myself why I have difficulty getting absorbed in these books and I think it is because it is such a different universe and so many players and I seem to have trouble keeping track of the mortals, Gods, Godlings, and demons.  In the case of both books I've forgotten that the author has a glossary of terms in the back of the book which might help me out! 

This book centers around a young blind artist named Oree Shoth who, after her father's death, moves to the city of Shadow in an attempt to hide her abilities.  Her father had warned her that she needed to keep her magic hidden and she tries to follow his advice but, in the heat of a moment, it comes out and endangers not only her life but that of her God lover and his friends as well as her friend, Shiny.  How can that be if Gods are immortal?  You'll have to read the tale that Jemisin has so expertly woven to discover that!

There is an excerpt from the third book in the trilogy at the end of this book and it is intriguing so I'm off to find it.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment