Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Home to Holly Springs"


"Home to Holly Springs" by Jan Karon is the first of the Father Tim novels -- based on Father Tim Kavanagh, a 70 year old Episcopal priest from her Mitford series. I decided to read this book based on a post my brother put on his Facebook page because it sounded like a mystery that I might like. This is my first Jan Karon book and, although I did enjoy the book, and plan to read the second one in the series, I had some difficulty with the heavy "religious" content. I consider myself to be a spiritual person but my beliefs have changed significantly from what they were when I was a child when they more closely matched those of the characters in this book.

The story, though, has a lot of merit. Father Tim receives an unsigned note saying simply, "Come home," and based on that returns to his home town of Holly Springs after a 32 year absence. It's a very personal journey -- just he and his dog as a companion -- leaving his wife and adopted son at home. However, it's a profound journey of reconnections, forgiveness, and discoveries about his past and present that have the ability to forever change his life.

There is a quote I like (on page 307 of the hardback copy): "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." On that note, I'll sign off!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment