Monday, August 16, 2010

"It's Complicated"

When I saw this movie (written and directed by Nancy Meyers) in the theater, I thoroughly enjoyed it so I picked up a copy of the DVD at the library for date night to share it with my spouse. Meryl Streep, as usual, puts in a superb performance portraying the ex-wife of Alec Baldwin's character.

John Krasinski, who plays the fiance of their oldest daughter, made a real impression on me. Although all of the actors/actresses in this film could say a lot with facial expressions, I thought he really did an outstanding job. I looked up his bio and was surprised to see how many films he has to his credit. He plays Ben in "The Holiday" and I have seen this movie (in our home DVD library) many times and have no clue who "Ben" is so I'll be looking for him when I watch it again.

Steve Martin rounds out this cast in a story about family relationships, divorce, regrets, dating and more. Although it is full of comedy, it still takes on some serious questions. Is it really that easy to throw away fifteen years of marriage, leave your wife and three children, and start a new family, without wondering if you maybe made the wrong choice? Wouldn't we all sometimes like to have a "do-over" and what would we learn if we had that opportunity? Would we make the same choice again or would we do it differently next time?

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment