Monday, July 10, 2017

"The Stolen Child"

"The Stolen Child" by Lisa Carey was a book I picked up at the library off a shelf of either new books or books recommended for reading.  It is the first book I've read by Lisa and the title led me to believe it might be a mystery which is my favorite type of reading.  However, it is not...it's a story set on St. Brigid's Island off Ireland and is full of Irish mythology.

Although I found it interesting, it didn't hold my interest well enough so it was easy to put it down or choose not to pick it up at all.  I read about half the book then last night I decided to skim through the rest to learn what happened to Rose, Emma and Niall, and Brigid.  Once I'd done that I no longer had a need to finish reading the details of the story.  That doesn't mean I won't try another of Carey's book as she has won awards for her writing.

However, I was told several years ago that you take your age and subtract it from a 100 and that's how many pages you need to read of a book before you decide if you want to finish it or not.  I'm not going to tell you how many pages that would be for me but I will say that there is probably not enough time left in my life to read all the books on my "wish to read" list.  I don't think it would matter how old I am and it would still be true.  I'd love to hear others opinions of Carey's books.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment