Thursday, March 10, 2016

"The 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook"

New York Times best-selling author, Diane Sanfilippo, BS, NC,  authored "The 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook."  Other books by her include "The 21 Day Sugar Detox Guidebook" and  "Practical Paleo:  A Customized Approach to Health and  A Whole-Foods Lifestyle."

Sanfilippo gives us many compelling reasons for eliminating sugar from our diets and I agree with her that we, as Americans especially, consume too much sugar.  She outlines the different levels of her detox plan and even shares a quiz to help the reader determine the level they should select.

However, I have difficulty with the amount of fat contained in her recipes and particularly the use of bacon fat!  Growing up my mother always kept a container on the stove and the grease was poured into the container then used later for other purposes.  I remember doing the same as a newlywed but the thought of it now horrifies me!  It's been a very long time since I thought cooking with bacon fat was even healthy so I was immediately skeptical of many of her recipes.

I am in the process of adopting a whole foods, plant-based diet which does not include oils of any kind or meat or dairy or eggs.  I am on a path and have not yet arrived to become a purist but, if I decided some of Sanfilippo's recipes were worth trying, I would substitute vegetable broth for sauteing in place of coconut oil or bacon fat.

The "Moroccan Cauli-rice Pilaf" which includes ground turmeric as one of its ingredients appeals to me and vegetable broth could be easily substituted for the ghee or coconut oil called for in that recipe.  Since turmeric is a spice which has many health benefits (Look it up!), this recipe I might try.
If unlike me, you still want to eat meat, I am sure the reader could adapt many of her recipes by making slight changes to make them healthier (replacing the fats).

At the back of  this cookbook, the author includes 2 pages of spice blends that I also want to try.  In addition she has a "Guide to Common Food Allergens" as well as a listing of recommended products and brands.

I am interested in reading her "Practical Paleo, etc." book because it includes "A Whole-Foods LIfestyle" which sounds healthy but then so did this book and I did not find it to be entirely healthy -- in my eyes, at least.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment