Wednesday, July 8, 2015

"Killing Floor"

After watching the Jack Reacher movie I decided it was time to read the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child and I started with the first novel, "Killing Floor."  Once I started reading I couldn't put the book down and read it straight through except for periods when I fell asleep because I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer -- not because the book wasn't holding my attention.

This novel is full of twists and turns and once the first shocking twist came out it was nonstop from then on and I didn't anticipate any of them.  The book reads like the story of someone's life (not the kind of life I'd wish for) because it goes into the depth of Reacher's life itself as well as some of the other characters.  When Reacher talked about the closeness of his relationship growing up with his older brother and the distance that had grown between them now that they were both out of the military and leading adult lives, I thought about my husband and his younger brother.  They moved a lot when they were young (just like Reacher and his brother as part of a military family) and I'm sure there were times when all they had was each other until they made new friends.  Some of their moves came so close together that I'm sure they didn't have time to even make friends.  Now that they are older and living in different parts of the country they have little contact -- just like Reacher and his brother.  Perhaps, that is what made this story feel so real to me?  If you like mystery and suspense that keeps you guessing, I highly recommend this book!  Child has become a new favorite author.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment