Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"The Guards"

I watched the brief season of "Jack Taylor" on Roku which made me crave more so I checked out Ken Bruen's first book in the Jack Taylor series, "The Guards."  It is a lot like the TV series so seemed familiar but I love his use of quotes at the beginning of most chapters and his style of writing brief chapters.  It's hard to describe what is so appealing about his work but author David Means is quoted as saying "If Elmore Leonard got together with James Joyce to write a Spencer novel, this is what you'd get.!"  I think that might be the best description of Bruen's writing style.

I just spent a couple of days lazing around reading while recovering from a sinus infection and this was the third book I read and my quickest read.  I'm already looking for the second book in the series.  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment