Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"State of Wonder"

"State of Wonder" is the second Ann Patchett book my book club has read.  The first one was "Bel Canto" which was the very first book we read when our club started several years ago.  Although I would need to re-read "Bel Canto" to remember the story, I did find "State of Wonder" a quicker read.  Dr. Marina Singh, a drop out from medical school, has become a research scientist and the pharmaceutical company she currently works for has asked her to travel to the Amazon to find out more about the disappearance of one of her colleagues and to discover what progress her former mentor, Dr. Annick Swenson, has made on a discovery that promises to boost the pharmaceutical companies earnings significantly.  What Dr. Singh discovers on this trip about Dr. Swenson, her missing colleague, the pharmaceutical company, as well as herself personally makes for an interesting read.  It's also convinced me I don't want to add the Amazon to my "bucket list!"  pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment