Thursday, February 23, 2012

Barbara Delinsky

"Three Wishes" by Barbara Delinsky was recommended to me and, while I was waiting for it to arrive from the library, I picked up a paperback copy of her "Cardinal Rules." If I hadn't already ordered "Three Wishes," I might not have read another book by Delinsky. Although "Cardinal Rules" was light reading and somewhat fun, I decided I'd rather have spent my time reading a mystery.

When the hardback copy of "Three Wishes" arrived from the library, I decided to give it a try. Yes, it's a romance but the story seems a little more evolved than "Cardinal Rules."

It centers around Bree, a popular local girl and familiar waitress at the local diner, who is hit by a car on her way home from work in the midst of a blizzard. Tom Gates was driving the truck that was hit by a car which then caused him to hit Bree - a pedestrian. He makes it his personal mission to help her recover and is one of the few individuals who believe her story of dying in the operating room then coming back to life. She believes she's been granted 3 wishes but ponders what that might mean -- If she asks for all three wishes, will she die after the third wish is granted?

In the meantime, Bree and Tom fall in love and marry after her first impetuous wish for warmth leads to her home burning down -- or was it a fluke spark? Bree isn't quite sure and wonders if she should chance any more wishes.

Bree was raised by her father and rather stern grandparents -- all now deceased -- and really wants to know her mother so, after much mental debate, she decides to use her second wish to find the mother she never knew. However, when that doesn't turn out the way she expected, she's not sure whether the wishes are "real" or a figment of her imagination.

Bree's doctors told her that the accident left her unable to have children so Tom is concerned when she becomes pregnant and the doctors are surprised. Tom wonders if Bree made a foolish wish for a child and that impetuous wish might leave him alone to raise a child without the love of his life. Or...is it nonsense to worry about it?

This is a story of family relationships on a lot of levels and an enduring love story and (to me) a much more rewarding read than "Cardinal Rules." Although I'm glad I read it, I'm not sure I'll look for another of Delinsky's books. After all, my true love seems to be mysteries and suspense.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment