Friday, November 11, 2011

Calendar Girls

A few years ago I was loaned a copy of the DVD, "Calendar Girls," starring Helen Mirren and Julie Walters and it's been hanging around my house ever since because I have rare opportunities to see the woman who loaned me the DVD. That's about to change when I attend a bridal shower for her only granddaughter tomorrow so I decided it's about time I returned the loaned DVD. I actually thought I'd already watched it but sat down one evening last week when my hubby was away (because he hadn't expressed any interest in seeing the movie) to view it. Clearly I hadn't seen it because there were only brief snatches that seemed familiar. I have to admit I watched it after a tiring week of part-time work and part-time grandparenting while our daughter was out of town so I did occasionally fall asleep but never longer than a few minutes the clock assured me.

I loved the movie which is based on a true story with some liberties taken, of course, for movie making. It's a story about relationships -- between women friends, between men and women and in marriage and it's a heart-warming story with some moments of angst but over all a movie that makes one feel good about the human race.

The story centers around ordinary women who are members of a Women's Institute which is a local group of "prim and proper" ladies listening to boring speakers week after week. But...when one of the member's husbands is diagnosed with a terminal cancer, her friends pull together to support her and, after his death, pull together once again to do something to honor his memory. As one might imagine, there is quite a bit of "interest" when their money-making plan turns out to be 12 of the women nude on a fundraising calendar. Where this leads these women and how it changes their lives is truly a heart-warming story and I encourage you to check out this movie.

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment