Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Wit's End"



Although I didn't read Karen Joy Fowler's "The Jane Austen Book Club," I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and have viewed it many times. In fact, I own a copy so I can watch it whenever I want. So...when I spied "Wit's End" at the library, I decided I must read this other book by Fowler.

The story revolves around Rima Lanisell who arrives in California to meet (and stay with for an extended period of time)her legendary godmother (a famous author) as well as recover from a series of personal losses in her life -- most recently her brother and father. The house inhabitants (a housekeeper in addition to the godmother) and its regular visitors are an unusual group of characters. As it turns out, Rima also has a hidden agenda in getting to know her famous godmother -- to gain more information about her father and what, if any, his relationship was with this woman. Along the way she discovers a lot about her godmother and the people she interacts with on a regular basis. I found the story a little difficult to really get into at times but persevered to the end and was highly satisfied with how all the loose ends were resolved. (It had a bit of a mystery within a mystery aspect to solve.) Do I recommend this book -- I'm not really sure. How's that for a very vague review?!

pazt

No comments:

Post a Comment